Finger Knitting

Finger knitting is a really good way of getting children interested in wool crafts, and it is very easy to learn.  It also helps to improve a child’s dexterity and ability to concentrate.  No extra implements are required,  just fingers, the best tools in the world!  I often carry balls of yarn in my bag to pass the time in the doctors surgery or similar.
Finger knitting produces a long thin strip of stocking stitch and there are many things you can do with these strips.  In this tutorial, which is suitable for children, I will show you how to finger knit.  You can use any weight of yarn for finger knitting but for this tutorial I used chunky which produces a nice stocking stitch.
Fig 1
To cast on, begin with the palm of your hand facing you with the tail end of the yarn between your thumb and index finger.  Weave the yarn over your index finger and behind the middle finger then over the ring finger.  Wrap the yarn around your smallest finger and weave back to your index finger (see fig 1).
Fig 2
Weave the yarn around the index finger again and continue in the same manner but above the first rows of stitches returning to your index finger again (see fig 2). 
Try to keep the stitches fairly loose otherwise it will be difficult for you to make the following moves.
Fig 3
The first row, begins with the little finger, lift the bottom row of wrapped yarn up and over the tip of your finger (see fig 3).  Ensure that you keep the top row of wrapped yarn on your finger as you go.
Continue the process of lifting the bottom row of stitches over the top row of stitches along your hand until you get back to your index finger.  

Fig 4
For all subsequent rows, weave the yarn around the fingers again ending with the index finger as you did in fig 2.  It should look like the image in Fig 4, and then lift the bottom row of wrapped yarn over the top as you did in fig 3. 

Fig 5
As you continue the process you will see a long strip of stocking stitch appearing behind you hand (see fig 5).
Fig 6
Continue until your work is approx 20cms in length then cast off.  To cast off, do not weave the work around your fingers instead, lift the stitch off the little finger and pass it across to your ring finger (see fig 6) then lift the bottom stitch over the top stitch on your ring finger.  Continue to pass the stitches across and over until you get to the index finger with one stitch remaining.

Finger knitting is very addictive and children love it for its simplicity and ease.  I have loads of strips of finger knitting laying around the house and there are lots of things that you can do with them.
Check out this workshop that we did with the local Brownie group here.

And here is my award winning tutorial I made for the Zero Budget Film Festival:

Comments

  1. Well...I never knew - and now I do! Thanks for sharing the spell :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How good is this?! Fantastic blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing my project. I think finger-knitting is an absolutely fabulous craft. Here's a new finger-knitting project I just published. A Jingle Jangle Finger-Knit Door Curtain! http://www.flaxandtwine.com/2012/03/finger-knitting-door-curtain-with-bells.html

    Thanks for the other links too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Found you through Pinterest. My girls want to knit so badly, but even just crocheting seems to be too challenging with the crochet hook. We'll be giving this a try very, very soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son loves to finger knit. I love your photos and steps showing you how it works. so happy to have found your blog through pitnerest. I am happy to be your newest follower. If you are ever looking for some fun, easy family recipes, come by and check out my blog www.questfordelish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for adding project links to your tutorial. My 9yo loves to finger knit also and constantly has the ropes strewn about our home, these links will help her do something extra special with her creations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all your comments. I am so pleased that so many of you are flexing your fingers and creating. Once the fingers have mastered stitches the next thing is to master knitting with pins. I would love to see what people make. Send a picture if you have time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As someone who taught handwork in a Waldorf school, I can appreciate this wonderful way to bring knitting to little fingers. Would you like me to pin this post to Pinterest with a link to your blog to spread good word of you there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is awesome! I have always loved knitting and crochet and learned how to finger crochet at a young age and have taught my kids as well. I LOVE that I have something new to teach them so they are not just making long worthless ropes ;-) Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pinning this right now. I plan to try this out with my daughter over the upcoming spring break (especially because it's super rainy so we can't go out as much as we'd like)

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is really cool!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so awesome! I'm going to teach my own kids and my kids club group on Thursday nights. What a great idea for those kids who can't sit still w/o having something in their hands to keep them focused. And fun :)

    Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very clever idea - would love to see a follow up post on what to do with these bands.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for all your kind comments. Blue Velvet Star, thanks for your kind offer. Most of the traffic has come via Pinterest. Depthofthesea and DevetteB, if you go to the end of the tutorial you will see a list of links to other sites that show you what to do with all the finger knitted 'tails'.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SUPER DARLING.....we used your tutorial to whip out some finger knitting on a recent family roadtrip with great success! Will be blogging about it soon! Stop on by for a visit anytime! Thanks for the great tut!

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that folks are getting so in to finger knitting. For those that are asking what to do with it. Here's another project I just posted as part of my Five Fabulous Finger Knitting Projects - a Finger-Knit Throw Pillow. This one was actually featured on Design*Sponge! so much fun!!
    http://www.flaxandtwine.com/2012/05/chunky-throw-pillow-fabulous-finger.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look fab Anne. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love the design! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I linked to your fabulous tutorial on my blog. I hope that's ok with you :) Thanks!! My post features all sorts of crazy finger knitting projects from jewelry to hair accessories to toys! Finger knitting is so much fun!

    http://www.livinginlilliput.com/2012/06/fantastic-fingerknitting-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this idea of finger knitting on your whole hand! I've just had a go and it's great! My sister got me onto finger knitting on a knitting dolly and I've been stuck for ideas what to do with it. I've just looked at the links at the end of this tutorial and I think I'll have to try a few.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOvely, I just buy it now, I want to learn my grand daughter! Thank you
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  22. i purchased instructions, how do i find them?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Courtney
    You should have recieved it directly via email as soon as you made your purchase . Check that it has not gone into your spam filter. If there are any problems, do not hesitate to contact me via my website at www.littlebirdsos.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! I saw that you said there were some links to projects to make with the tales - but I don't see the links anywhere (except the 2 different ones in the comments) - where could I get some more ideas of how to use them? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah
      Here's a project, that I did with the local Brownies using finger knitted tails: http://kgb-123.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/blooming-brilliant-brownies.html
      And, if you scroll through this link (turquoise tree in Leicestershire) you will find another we did for Voluntary Arts Week with a local arts organisation where we decorated a tree in a local park with an extra long finger knitted tail: http://www.voluntaryartsweek.org/ - Hope this give you the inspiration to make something special!

      Delete
  25. Great idea...Gonna get some wool and try it out with my little one, who has been asked about knitting recently. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  26. I totally remember doing this as a kid....

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so easy and I am so addicted . Thanks Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I looked everywhere for this and this was the only place I found it. This is a great tutorial! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my gosh, my daughter would just LOVE this! Thanks so much! :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gracias por compartir.
    Si no te importa voy a pòner un enlace en mi blog.
    Un saludo
    http://escueladeblanca.blogspot.com.es/2014/10/como-hacer-una-bufanda.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. It is really fun to do knitting, I do this on a weekend when I am at home.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I Loved doing this as a kid. Thanks for bringing back a fun & memorable activity that I can now teach my grand kids. 💜

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks so much for this! We're looking forward to trying it out tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I learned a little differently. I was taught to weave the first row the same as you, but put the second straight across. Continue time pull over just as you did. I wonder if the outcome would look different. I may have to try your way and see :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. SO, SO perfect for my kids to do when bored !!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Cool! I loved it

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your content helped me a lot to take my doubts, amazing content, thank you very much for sharing.
    Click speed Test

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank You, it is really,really cool

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank You, it is really,really cool

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment